It sometimes happens that library patrons report that they have already returned, or never checked out, an item(s) that the library's circulation system indicates they still have checked out. In these cases, in accordance with the library’s role as steward of library materials, library staff will make every attempt to determine the status and location of the item(s) in question by doing a search of the library's processing areas, browsable circulating collection, and physical spaces.
Lemieux Library and McGoldrick Learning Commons staff take great care in ensuring that all materials are properly returned through the circulation desk and are checked in before they are reshelved. Each item is checked in twice: once upon return and once before it is shelved.
Patrons who believe that they have returned a library item that is still attached to their account, or who believe that the library material on their account was never borrowed, must follow the procedure below to initiate a search. Please note that the item(s) will remain on a patron’s account throughout the search and that they may still borrow materials while library staff searches for the disputed item(s).
Claims “Returned” or “Never Borrowed” Procedure:
- Fill out and complete the online Claims Return form.
- Once this form is completed and submitted, Access Services staff will search for the claims “returned” and/or “never borrowed” item(s) for one month. The search will be conducted every day for one week (seven days) and then once a week for three weeks.
- Patrons will be asked to continue to look through their own belongings while the search is underway. Patrons have occasionally found materials in such instances. Familiar places where materials have been discovered include offices, homes, cars, and rooms where library material may have been mixed in with personal belongings.
- Patrons may check their patron record in the library catalog at any time to check if the item is still on their account. For information about the material in question or the status of the search, patrons can either call the circulation desk at 206-296-6233 or email the Access Services at email@example.com.
- Once the library staff search is complete, patrons will be notified of its outcome via email from the Manager of Access Services. If the item has not been found at the end of the search, and determined to be lost, the patron will be responsible for any replacement costs.
- Questions or concerns can be directed to the Manager of Access Services at 206-296-6235 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org